Top Children's Room Flooring Tips
The flooring of choice that will be installed in the bedroom of your kid’s or children’s bedroom is a very important feature of the room that you need to think of and do good research before making a final decision. The first thing you need to consider is not just the look of the room and how the floor will match the overall interior and style, but also the functionality. Functionality and comfort come first when it comes to the room of your little one. There are a lot of aspects of comfort and convenience you have to consider when choosing the right floor.
First of all, because young children spend a lot of their time on the ground, either crawling or playing, you want to go for a flooring type that won’t be too cold or non-convenient. Good insulation is very important too and it is highly dependent on the floor you choose. Furthermore, a floor that is hard-wearing and durable enough and can last through the entire childhood of your little one is a big bonus, since you want to get value for your money. So here is a comprehensive and helpful guide for you on how to choose the right type of flooring for your child’s bedroom.
Go with the trend or go with what guts tell you? Choosing the right type of flooring for a kids’ bedroom is not an easy choice indeed! Each type of flooring has its advantages and disadvantages, especially when it comes to such a sensitive area of the house like the bedroom of your kid. Here is some advice on how to make the decision!
Wood flooring is a great choice for the bedroom of your child and it comes with some benefits. First of all, wood flooring is one of the most durable and lasting floor types you can choose. Although the surface can be scratched, marked, or stained, once you make sure you invest in the right finish that is durable and ensures high protection and when you have a good and regular maintenance and cleaning routine, you can enjoy the floor for decades. Real wood floors are easy to maintain in great condition, naturally hygienic, and, hands down, one of the most stylish and elegant options out there. Real wood flooring will last through the entire childhood and it is so versatile and suitable for everyone and their needs and desires. Real wood floors are as good for the room of a newborn as they are for the room of a teenager. Depending on your child’s age, you may consider placing rugs in the room for more comfort, cosiness, and warmth. Keep in mind that with age and due to extensive use the wooden floor may start creak and experience some issues with time. However, the majority of the wood floor issues you can handle with some expert help and professional service.
Tiles are, normally, not a common and popular option for bedrooms. Tile flooring may be a very convenient choice for bathrooms and kitchens as they are durable and easy to clean, however, when installed in the bedroom, tile flooring makes the room feel cold and not that convenient. However, if the room already has tiles and you don’t plan to replace them, you can either paint them with a floor paint to make them feel and look fresher and more modern, or you can accessorise them with a rug.
Carpets are often considered for the bedrooms in the house and there is no wonder why. When it comes to the aspect of comfort, carpets are convenient and achieve a cosy and warm atmosphere in the room. However, in terms of maintenance and durability carpets are not the best. Significantly less lasting and durable compared to hard floors and hard to keep extra clean and spotless, carpets are bad for allergies since they collect and trap a lot of dust, dirt, bacteria, and allergens that are impossible to remove fully, even with the help of a thorough professional cleaning service. The carpet may be a good option for the first few years of your child, however, make sure to plan to replace the carpet in your child’s bedroom soon enough.
Whenever you are looking for the most budget-friendly flooring alternative out there, vinyl and plastic flooring is your solution. In case you are considering it as a short-period solution and you are not hoping for this floor to last through the entire childhood, you can go with this budget-friendly option but be prepared for replacement soon or later. Vinyl floors are pretty easy to lay and maintain, which adds to the advantages of this option. However, vinyl sometimes lacks an aesthetic appeal and does not create a stylish and elegant atmosphere the way wood does, for example.
5 Things to Consider when Choosing the Right Floor for the Kid’s Bedroom
• Age – When it comes to young children, some of the main aspects to consider are softness, comfort, durability, and stain-resistance plus easy maintenance. When it comes to the bedroom of your teenager, they tend to enjoy a more minimalistic, industrial, and Scandinavian style so real wood is a great choice in terms of style.
• Timeless basic – As we have already mentioned, you want a floor that will last through the entire childhood of your kid and still look current and amazing after a decade or more. This is why we highly recommend you going for more classic and timeless styles and options and don’t following the current trends necessarily. You can opt for natural flooring options, such as real wood and engineered wood, as they pretty much stay in style forever!
• Budget – Whenever you are planning a renovation of your kid’s room but you are on a tight budget, make sure to go for flooring options that are already more budget-friendly and affordable, but also consider floors that are easy to install even as a DIY project as this will save you money.
• Appearance – After functionality and comfort here comes the look. Naturally, you would like your kid’s bedroom to be not just comfortable but also good-looking. So keep in mind the overall interior and style of the room and how it may change throughout the years following the current and future preferences of your child.
• Professional advice – At the end of the day, if you feel lost in the ocean of many options available on the market, make sure to ask for professional consultation and assistance and maybe you will be able to get a lot of fresh and new ideas and inspiration.